Sense of Place

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Eternal
924 posts

Re: Sense of Place
Jun 02, 2012, 23:45
moss wrote:
...............Well what the thread did draw out was our subjective view to the nature of the world around us. Prehistory for me is the page in the book of human history that has no words written upon it, if that makes sense, so we fill the gap with our own interpretations.
I think some people have dwelt on that 'space of loneliness' that megaliths can bring, or at least the ability to dwell in solitude for a short time within the immensity of time.....................

moss,

I think that the enigmatic nature of our prehistoric sites only draws more people to them. If we knew for a fact everything about them, then the "sense of Place", or "Spirit of Place", as I prefer, would by definition be changed for all.

This "sense", or "spirit", or whatever people prefer to call it, would already be defined. As it is, we make of it what we will, and each person can be lost in their own thoughts and feelings about every site they visit.

Yes, of course it would be great to know everything, but then the magic would be taken away. It's as if a little bit is being held back in order to keep us enthralled.

As you so brilliantly put it: "Prehistory for me is the page in the book of human history that has no words written upon it, if that makes sense, so we fill the gap with our own interpretations." Therein lies the attraction, and yes, it does make sense.

All the best,
TE.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index