92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Sense of Place/Wildness
May 07, 2012, 16:40
Littlestone wrote:
I think I'd be too busy trying to stay alive than worry about building stone circles, dolmens and the likes and even caring where the sun rose or set as long as it came up :-)

Well, you’d maybe build a stone circle to keep yourself and your livestock secure, and a cursus perhaps to get said livestock safely down to the river and back again. Very practical, very necessary and a blindingly obvious thing to have to do. X thousand years on and we come along and call these places sacred, temples to the sun or moon, hospitals, places for the dead, Neolithic computers, a windmill...

Nah... call me a killjoy, but romanticising these places reminds me of the housewife who always cut the leg bone off her joint of ham before bunging it into the pot; her mother did it that way and so did her grandmother but she didn’t know why. The answer’s at the bottom of the page but you’ll have to turn your monitor upside-down to read it ;-)

Indeed, although I would be inclined to think that maybe timber would have been used for animal enclosures initially. I'll keep to my dog for keeping the animals in check whilst taking them to the river and back and save the effort of building a curcus!
I was told the story of the three-legged pig. The farmer was asked why it only had three legs, to which he replied...'You don't eat a fine pig like that at one sitting' :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index