92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Sense of Place
May 21, 2012, 13:30
tjj wrote:
Have just returned from a dream holiday looking at stone circles and standing stones in West Cork ... the 'dream' bit was the time spent on the Beara Peninsula where there are several stone circles, standing stones and a few wedge tombs. They all had one thing in common - they were all on a mountain or hillside facing the sea. Visiting them was almost a mystical experience and thankfully the weather was kind as many of them are surrounded by peat bog.

I now understand how important a 'sense of place' can be to the appreciation of ancient monuments.

So pleased you had a great time June and have in fact reminded me by your comments something I meant to post on this thread some time back but it slipped my mind! Looking forward to your Fieldnotes and photos.

When I was last at Rillaton Barrow and at the stone ring cairn on Ridge Hill (both Cornwall) I got to really understand the 'sense of place' as I looked out to the east from both locations to the stunning vista beyond Cornwall into Devon and Dartmoor . One can imagine 'waking' in the morning whilst in the Afterlife and having this wonderful panarama in front of you similar to your experience felt at the Beara Peninsula...a real sense of place without a doubt!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index