92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited May 09, 2012, 10:40
Re: Sense of Place
May 09, 2012, 10:38
Just to note that I am reading all this, but access to a computer is a bit limited in this land of Goths and ammonities, i.e. Whitby, town of the stone snakes of St.Hilda.
I see the thread winds round with those who are say there is no such thing as 'wildness', true probably every inch of Britain has been walked over. It is also true to note that up to a couple of hundred years ago, everything was 'handmade' the great dikes, banks and ditches, made by the labour of man, and in a book I am reading at the moment, the argument goes forth that a lot of what we see today can be seen to have their boundaries within prehistory.
I never speculate about the religious nuance of the prehistoric people because I believe it is impossible to know such things. But landscape, whether it is the sky, sea or the land itself is wild.
Anyway Whitby library only allows me half an hour free, time is almost up and the little steam train is puffing out through the window ;).

Book; Making of the English Landscape by Hoskins, with overview by Christopher Taylor, expert on landscape, especially celtic fields!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index