92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Eternal
924 posts

Re: Sense of Place
May 30, 2012, 23:01
The Eternal wrote:
BuckyE wrote:
Ah, that's a cogent and expressive post!

Interesting that my "sense of place" is evoked by water. I could lie on a towel on a sandy beach by the ocean for days, mesmerized by the sound of the waves. Or sit next to a waterfall the same way. Is there, for me, something about the SOUND?

The places we've been while seeking stones/barrows/tracks have pretty much never given me that same feeling of connection with the larger world. Odd.

BuckyE wrote:
............Interesting that my "sense of place" is evoked by water. I could lie on a towel on a sandy beach by the ocean for days, mesmerized by the sound of the waves. Or sit next to a waterfall the same way. Is there, for me, something about the SOUND?

The places we've been while seeking stones/barrows/tracks have pretty much never given me that same feeling of connection with the larger world. Odd.

BuckyE,

I know what you mean. I can lie in a tent by a gurgling beck, and be lulled to sleep, as I can whilst lying beneath trees in a fresh west wind in June. I remembe,r vividly, the sound of the waves on the stony beach at Etretat in Normandy, as I lay there, the sound hissing and rumbling all the while. I could have been anywhere, and the sound made me want to wander the earth forever.

I also remember a particular sound that brought tears to my eyes - that of the wind in the trees as I wandered around the WW2 cemetery at Ryes, just south of Arromanche in Normandy. It's a small cemetery, and relatively unvisited. An old, faded photograph, framed, and placed leaning against a headstone, was one of the most moving things I have ever seen, and all the while the timeless wind sighed through the canopy above. Truly a sense of place.

Maybe that's not everyone's idea of "sense of place", but I felt it strongly. Obviously, emotions came into it. But that's what "sense of place" is, eh?

Cheers,
TE.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index