Sense of Place

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Sense of Place
May 07, 2012, 13:50
Nice quote by Stan there tsc, and you’re right about filtering stuff.

Most people visiting a place for the first time (not just an ancient place) want it to be nigh on perfect (whatever that means). First time holidaying somewhere, a new restaurant, if it’s not perfect first time every little shortcoming niggles. After a few visits to the same place though a lot of it gets filtered. Not always - sometimes things are so bad they can’t be ignored. Litter and noise at sites, persistently bad service at restaurants - too much of that and you give up and go somewhere else. But a bit of tat at some places doesn’t bother me too much any more, or if the service at my favourite restaurant is sometimes a bit slow.

It’s what happens after that which is maybe the point of the thread. moss says -

Many of our prehistoric stones, barrows, etc remain in the wild places of the moors and high mountains, the last remaining bits of 'wildness' in this small country, perhaps that is what draws people to seek prehistory out.

And Bucky adds -

But if that is our impulse, it's cherry picking. "Wildness" and "prehistory" are not, in most cases, particularly well related. At least not to my mind! That's all I'm saying.

Perhaps the wilderness we’re seeking is the wilderness within rather than the one without. A blank canvass to paint our interpretations on – and that’s all I’m saying :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index