Sense of Place

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Re: Sense of Place/Wildness
May 07, 2012, 17:42
But a small stone circle, say like Four Stones or the little five stone one near Penmaenmawr cannot have been for stock enclosure, or part of hut circle, or anything like that. I agree that we shouldn't see "ritual" in every site, especially as we have no idea what "rituals" might have been practised by those people, in that location, at that time. But some sites do not have any obvious purpose that we could descibe as "utilitarian" in the way that we would a stock enclosure.

Also, the more I think about Bucky's post, the more I have to say that I disagree. The choice of position of a prehistoric site is demonstrably significant (I don't mean a hut circle or a hillfort, where practical concerns would override much else). Long barrows are rarely built on the top of hills. Stone circles often "appear" to have a relationship with rock outcrops. Many standing stones, circles and cairns are placed near the source of major rivers. Burial cairns built at 2,000ft are not placed "accidentally", and I don't believe that a prehistoric person climbing up to such a place could fail to be moved by the vista unfolding as he climbed. I just do not believe it is possible. His response to it may have been wholly different to ours, but I cannot believe that the response would have been a shrug of indifference.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index