Sense of Place

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Re: Sense of Place
May 07, 2012, 14:00
Yes, that's it. The restaurant analogy is good, I was thinking of saying something similar about a hotel (the little "bad" things, in themselves not worthy of note, can add up into a single big bad experience in sufficient numbers).

I also take Bucky's point, to a point. A lot of prehistoric sites remain in "wilderness" areas because unlike other areas they haven't been ploughed away or built over, but that doesn't mean they were wilderness areas at the time those sites were in use. Dartmoor is the classic example. If I recall correctly, Dartmoor has been described as the first environmental disaster, as the wild and remote landscape we see now is the product of man over-clearing trees and vegetation and then overfarming the cleared spaces.

I say "to a point" though, because a burial cairn built on top of a 2,000ft mountain would have been in as wild and remote a place as can be, back then as much as now (if not more so). Habitation sites in upland areas (400m or higher) would have been "marginal" even to minds of the prehistoric people who lived there, unlike say a fertile lowland river valley.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index