The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Sense of Place

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Sense of Place
Apr 20, 2012, 15:47
Got to thinking about this thread today...driving up the A25 from Reigate to Dorking...passing Reigate Heath...there isn't anything there except for the barrow remains....yet at one time this area attracted settlers ...so what gave them the "sense of place"?...Was it as Gladman (I think) says..the surrounding environment an views of the hills etc which decided it for these early people or was it simply a good water supply.....the strange thing is...in winter this area often has one of the lowest temperature readings in England....did our ancestors know something we have forgotten and can't even guess at.

Of course some barrows, mounds and stones are in sensual places and/or places which corelate to the surrounding topography...but does anyone ever get "sense of place" feelings in places where there is nothing at all..just something from within yourself?..I don't mean like dowsing because that implies there is something nor do I mean something asthetic...like a bluebell wood....just a feeling that although there is nothing there, nor has there ever been...you feel a stone/mound/barrow should've been there?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index