Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Sense of Place
May 31, 2012, 06:40
The Eternal wrote:
The Eternal wrote:
BuckyE wrote:
Ah, that's a cogent and expressive post!

Interesting that my "sense of place" is evoked by water. I could lie on a towel on a sandy beach by the ocean for days, mesmerized by the sound of the waves. Or sit next to a waterfall the same way. Is there, for me, something about the SOUND?

The places we've been while seeking stones/barrows/tracks have pretty much never given me that same feeling of connection with the larger world. Odd.

BuckyE wrote:
............Interesting that my "sense of place" is evoked by water. I could lie on a towel on a sandy beach by the ocean for days, mesmerized by the sound of the waves. Or sit next to a waterfall the same way. Is there, for me, something about the SOUND?

The places we've been while seeking stones/barrows/tracks have pretty much never given me that same feeling of connection with the larger world. Odd.

BuckyE,

I know what you mean. I can lie in a tent by a gurgling beck, and be lulled to sleep, as I can whilst lying beneath trees in a fresh west wind in June. I remembe,r vividly, the sound of the waves on the stony beach at Etretat in Normandy, as I lay there, the sound hissing and rumbling all the while. I could have been anywhere, and the sound made me want to wander the earth forever.

I also remember a particular sound that brought tears to my eyes - that of the wind in the trees as I wandered around the WW2 cemetery at Ryes, just south of Arromanche in Normandy. It's a small cemetery, and relatively unvisited. An old, faded photograph, framed, and placed leaning against a headstone, was one of the most moving things I have ever seen, and all the while the timeless wind sighed through the canopy above. Truly a sense of place.

Maybe that's not everyone's idea of "sense of place", but I felt it strongly. Obviously, emotions came into it. But that's what "sense of place" is, eh?

Cheers,
TE.

Places where there is utter silence do this too...even if the silence isn't total...but free from modern noise...even other peoples' voices. I was near The Sidlaws many years ago and there wasn't even breeze to rustle the heather, nothing but a skylark calling to the sun....bliss.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index