Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited May 19, 2012, 14:57
Re: Sense of Place/Wildness
May 19, 2012, 14:53
Littlestone wrote:
An even better solution to coralling, although maybe not herding, is a henge. Lots of animals don't like crossing a ditch, especially if it's a moat. Hmmm, right?

Right. It all comes down, doesn’t it, to how much energy you have to expend to achieve whatever it is you want to achieve. If digging a (circular) ditch is easier than dragging stones around, hauling ‘em up and then filling the spaces between with something then that’s what you’d go for.

At the risk of sounding sacrilegious I’m just vary wary of assigning a sacred significance to every stone circle when some/many/most? were purely for utilitarian purposes.

I'm sure you're right LS but don't really know how to differentiate although of course can speculate. Some circles are built of tall/heavy/chunky stones whilst some are a mixture of large/medium/small even though there is no lack of either lying around. My own view is that the stones that are dressed/worked/smoother faced on the inside are possibly built for 'religous/ritual' or something other than day to day practical use as described by your good self. Then there are the stones that seem to be specially 'selected' within the setting i.e. the triangular, diamond shaped, sloping tops etc which I am particularly interesed in and have been seeking out. I found a really special large worked equalateral triangular one last night, the finest I have ever seen, but as I had to do a bit of 'gardening' to find it I'll say no more! :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index