92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: Sense of Place
May 07, 2012, 13:35
GLADMAN wrote:
[quote="BuckyE"]

So, in my opinion I feel that there is much evidence that our ancestors took a very significant, in some cases overwhelming, degree of care to ensure their burial monuments - where possible (an important caveat) - were placed apart from their normal day to day surroundings in 'just the right spot'. Open stone rings - i.e. those with no apparent burial function, so assumed to have functioned as 'meeting places'(?) - would, I guess, have been subject to different siting criteria.... easy access, perhaps via, or at least in the vicinity of water, near established routes to facilitate the exchange of axes... featuring celestial alignments (where available - but a must for RSCs, I would have thought) to allow some priest-engineered theatre...

Okay, I can totally get behind this kind of question and both sympathize and empathize with the very well written exposition leading up to it.

Sure, there are EXAMPLES of SPECIFIC TYPES of Neolithic monuments that might point to an emotional/spiritual involvement with "Nature," so long as we qualify the term in the very cogent way you have done. Absolutely. And I agree some of us might then, at those Places, be feeling somewhat of their builders' intentions, hopes and fears. AND that those intentions, hopes and fears are still relevant. No problem!

However, I'm still reacting to moss' "Many of our prehistoric stones, barrows, etc remain in the wild places of the moors and high mountains, the last remaining bits of 'wildness' in this small country, perhaps that is what draws people to seek prehistory out." And I'm sure that's true for many people, including those coming to this very UN-wild and civilized high technology web site! ;^)

But if that is our impulse, it's cherry picking. "Wildness" and "prehistory" are not, in most cases, particularly well related. At least not to my mind! That's all I'm saying.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index