92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited May 07, 2012, 19:31
Re: Sense of Place/Wildness
May 07, 2012, 19:25
Indeed, although I would be inclined to think that maybe timber would have been used for animal enclosures initially. I'll keep to my dog for keeping the animals in check whilst taking them to the river and back and save the effort of building a curcus!

Think it would depend on what was available locally Mr S. Cutting down a tree with a stone axe, lopping off the branches with same, hauling trunk back to base then standing it up knowing you’re going to have to do it all over again when the wood rots is not the easy option – not when you’ve got good big stone lying around – stone that can be hauled into place and will stay there for centuries – actually, as we see, for millennia.

But I take your point. In stone-strapped Essex for example wood, puddingstone and bits of flint are all that’s available – and that’s still what you see in churches here today. Wood is also all you see at the Chelmer Cursus, with the henge at one end and a cursus, leading down to the river, at the other.

You know dogs a thousand times better than me but I’m not sure if our Neolithic canine friends would have been much good at herding livestock very far, nor very efficiently – given that if they (the livestock) took off they wouldn’t be confined by the sort of hedges or walls we have today – porky would be out there before you could say bacon for breakfast.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index