Sense of Place

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Sense of Place
May 08, 2012, 21:41
BuckyE wrote:
The problem comes in when we believe our ancestors' response to wildness might have some relevance to our experiences of the same wildness of the same ONFs. So sure, they could well have had dozens or hundreds of reasons for placing their monuments according to Plan B. The questions is, do we care what the reasons were? Given the nature of Plan B, I mean.

No. Having seen their exquisite use of the grain of the Lewissian Gneiss, their sublime placement of cairns in precisely the right spot to freak me out by just supressing the finest views (a very key point)... even with my supposely scientific, Dawkins inspired (self) education... I reckon you're gonna have to come up with a far compelling argument than that. I think they (or at least the priests) knew EXACTLY what they were doing and knew just what to do in order to press the right buttons on the human psyche. Landscape context was everything. Theatre. Or so it would appear to me. Otherwise we are just left with stones in the ground, piles of rock, heaps of mud. So what? Why the web-site? For all that effort. Don't think so. You do them a disservice, I think. But a good talking point nonetheless.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index