Pagan Christianity?

121 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2009, 01:23
Re: Pagan Christianity?
Oct 29, 2009, 00:47
As I understand it Tiompan, the symbol on jewellery and stones is not functional, just representational. Like a celtic harp on a gravestone means a bard is buried there, but the pictogram isn't actually totally realistic of a harp. (depends of skill of artist I guess) A pendant described as being very precisely drawn with the v-rod crescent on one side and double disc z-rod on the other I would have loved to have seen is described, but listed as "lost now". It might have been a functioning miniature. Nebra Sky Disc is at the back of my mind too now, wondering if it had a functional use the way a stone circle has a functional use.

It's an out there one I know. I've heard people that defend it as a symbol of a priest say the arrow up or down means a man or a woman, but when you point out some crescents have no arrow, the theories get into boggy ground. Then again, someone did tell me that into the christian period, christian priests and bishops put it on their stones, but they couldnt give me examples. It was fustrating. I suddenly remembered it all and thought here might be a place someone would know.

I suppose Drew, that Ardin might have been Ard-dun or something else and it has changed spellings too. It means exalted as well as high, so it might just have referred to some other kind of exaltedness. Exalted because a judge had a law court there is a possibility, as Ard is used that way too. I'm no expert in etymology, just tenacious in the pursuit of meanings for things to do with my own research.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index