Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Pagan Christianity?
Oct 28, 2009, 23:16
tiompan wrote:
Branwen wrote:
So what do you think of the idea that the pictish crescent moon with a broken arrow is in fact a small, mobile alignement device? With the broken/bend being the backsight spot and the two halves of the arrow moving outwards at 82 degrees marking the sighting line which marked the arc of the moon's rising on the horizon.

Also the idea that the double disc and z rod represents the solar movement between furthest south east and furthest north east at the solstices?

I dunno how well they would work as such, but I was always told they represented that, and that symbol connected to your name meant a moon or sun initiate, and as a symbol of such, didn't have to be rendered exactly perfectly to use for alignements except on metal pendants where the symbol was inscribed more accurately.

If there were a way to test it then I imagine it would be easily refuted but as there isn't ,it's just another suggestion that can''t be proved one way or the other . There are of course some crescents minus the V rod and plenty double discs without Z rods .

Branwen , is the suggestion that the two moon rises or sets that are 85 -95 (the angle supplied from the V) degrees apart are important astronomically or just two events that happen to be separated by that angle ?
Having thought about it a bit more it is incredibly unlikely to find a situation where there will be 90 degrees between major standstills at the latitude where we find the stones but it could be possible for a minor standstill .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index