Pagan Christianity?

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Pagan Christianity?
Oct 13, 2008, 09:48
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26972493/

"the discovery may provide evidence that Christianity and paganism at times intertwined in the ancient world."

Stukeley would have seized upon that - didn't he try to make the same connection?
gjrk
370 posts

Re: Pagan Christianity?
Oct 13, 2008, 12:00
Hi Nigel

If Christ means 'the anointed', could it have referred to what the bowl may have been used for and have nothing to do with JC (the bible one, that is)?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 12:41
Aye, and the article also mentions other possibilities. But I like the suggestion that soothsayers/magicians might have deliberately enhanced their cred by using the engraving to legitimise their supernatural powers - "by invoking the name of Christ"

He was widely known by that time as a master of miracle working apparently. Having a hotline to Jesus and broadcasting his word isn't unknown, even today...

"Pray for our military. Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right for this country - that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God"
(Sarah effing Palin)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 12:53
nigelswift wrote:

"the discovery may provide evidence that Christianity and paganism at times intertwined in the ancient world."

Stukeley would have seized upon that - didn't he try to make the same connection?

Didn't realise any more evidence was needed . The engraving looks a bit clear and "fresh " .
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 15:42
There's a Canadian academic called The Naked Archaeologist. He's kind of the north American version of Tony Robinson, but. He makes television programmes on Old Testament archaeology and it's very interesting stuff. You don't have to agree with everything he says but he has a fresh approach. His 'The Lost Tomb Of Jesus' is well worth digging out. I mean if they found the family vault of Caiphas why not the family tomb of Jesus?
gjrk
370 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 15:52
Her link with the supernatural may be stronger than you think! I read a piece in today's Irish Independent comparing her to an Inuit shaman - because of her hunting 'prowess'. Better be careful what we say ;)
hotaire
43 posts

Oct 03, 2009, 19:50
It's surprising just how long this belief lasted. In 1891, Canon J. C. Atkinson of Danby (North Yorks.) published his 'Forty Years in a Moorland Parish'. He told of an old woman, Dinah, who once called him to her house to 'lay' spirits that were bothering her. When he explained that he didn't profess to 'lay' spirits, she replied :

"Aye, but if I'd sent for a priest of t'auld choch he wad a' deean it. They were a vast mair powerful conjurers than you choch-priests."

The idea of priests being magicians was still around 150 years ago!

Whooooooa! a new-age magician - Kenwyne Jones just scored!!!!!
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 03, 2009, 22:38
Somewhere in my storage, i've a collected works of Irish FolK-lore from first hand accounts spoken to William Butler YEATS himself. Just crammed packed with such tales. Collected round the same time-frame too.
Christ as a Magus? No more so than Moses or the Court Magicians of Pharaoh. People were mostly ignorant in those days and believed what they were told. What's changed?
wysefool
wysefool
107 posts

Oct 04, 2009, 00:13
reminds me of the book:

Religion and the decline of magic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Religion-Decline-Magic-Sixteenth-Seventeenth-Century/dp/0140137440
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 04, 2009, 09:55
nigelswift wrote:

St. Brigit was the daughter of a druid priest, and she had an everlasting fire. Certainly pagan & Christian mixed in the early Irish incarnation of Christianity.

St. Patrick performed many Druid-esque miracles to prove that the Druids were no different to him (well, he did them better, of course, and proved they were inferior.)
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index