Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Oct 20, 2009, 00:15
Re: Pagan Christianity?
Oct 19, 2009, 23:51
Hugo Hellfire wrote:
Christianity is just an appendage of old forms, old thoughts, old feelings that were twisted and desacralized in order to accomodate for this ersatz middle eastern so called religion.

This is my second reply to this succinct post but one that I have been mulling over in conjuction to some of the excellent posts by Hotaire, Branwen, Moss etc.

I picked up a library reference book today Handbook of Ancient Religions; I couldn’t take it out of the library but spent some time reading the chapter on Ancient Europe by Hilda Ellis Davidson. She draws on the Irish for information about the Celts saying they had four main feasts, Imbolc, Beltane, Lugnasa and Samhain but then leaves a big question mark on whether these predate the Celts by a couple of millennia. Again so much is speculative, although we know Lug is an Irish god and reputed to be the father of Cu Chulainn.

Bearing in mind what Hugo Hellfire said about a Middle Eastern religion being foisted on these islands I am drawn back to a paperback I’ve owned for several years. Its called The Jesus Mysteries by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy and reading it was my first encounter with the theory that perhaps Jesus was another manifestation of the Osiris-Dionysus cult.
The website below highlights the parallels between paganism and Jesus-ism as it existed in the Middle East. We come back to our old friend Pythagoras and the inner and outer mysteries – the Literalists versus the Gnostics.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa2.htm
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index