What is better than Capitalism?

180 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Nature
Sep 10, 2003, 23:06
I am certainly not dissing NatAm culture (hey I'm part NatAm myself) -- and as far as the "separation of Man from Nature" thing you can blaim Judeo-Christian culture spread by Europeans for that . . . ;-)

I think what I am trying to advocate is a philosophy based on a sophisticated rational view of "nature" (I'm not a religious person myself, so stuff like "Karma" doesn't enter into it as far as I'm concerned.)

The idea that 1) systems are self-correcting (if the bus driver is a maniac he will crash the bus and kill himself, "problem solved") and 2) that there is a "natural" competitive instinct among animals living in an environment with finite resources (which is always the case to some degree) and that 3) systems evolve as conditions change . . . are all based on a "natural" philosophy that sees humans as part of the "natural world", not separate from it.

(Was that a run-on sentence or what!!!)

As it relates to politics and economics -- I guess I just think the idea that there is someone who has figured out how the bus SHOULD work and where it SHOULD go is folly. You can't make the bus run on water and give off scented air for exhaust just because it "should" be that way. Though if you're clever, maybe you can design and build something better than the gas-guzzling engine we currently use.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index