180 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Technology!
Sep 10, 2003, 22:48
"Snap. But you support the Legal system?"

Of course. I keep saying it's a relative thing. I support laws that are less obtrusive vs. more intrusive, but I don't think we can do away with "law" altogether.

Not that I don't have a lot of arguments against SPECIFIC laws . . . the "war on drugs" idiocy is the perfect example. It's so stupid on so many levels . . .

"Also, I believe we are 'socially engineered' from birth, by the Market."

The market is "us", it's not a "thing outside of us."

Back to the bus metaphor: the bus driver can't just drive wherever he pleases, if he wants a full bus he has to pick people up from where they are and take them to where they want to go. If the bus is empty he won't be able to afford the gas to keep it running. "Supply and demand" is a two way street. I suppose the bus driver can "advertise" to make you think you should go to point B instead of point A, but that can only work to a limited degree. If my job is at point A I won't consider taking the bus to point B even if they promise it will make me socially popular.

So back to "what can you do about it?" If you don't like McDonalds, don't eat there. Tell all your friends why they shouldn't either. If enough people agree with you eventually McD's has to change it's ways or go out of business.

The RIAA is learning this lesson the hard way -- they didn't give consumers what they wanted, now they are totally fucked by file sharing.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index