U-Know! Forum »
What is better than Capitalism?

Pages: 18 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe lux
301 posts

What is better than Capitalism?
Sep 08, 2003, 15:21
I wonder what anyone thinks would work better than capitalism? Serious answers please. It's no good saying 'we're all fucked', back of the classroom!
morfe lux
301 posts

neither will...
Sep 08, 2003, 15:24
..."shooting myself in the head after eating my own babies" be accepted as a 'good' answer.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: What is better than Capitalism?
Sep 08, 2003, 16:09
Er small scale societies where you realise that you are responsible for your actions.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 08, 2003, 18:09
Yeah, I guess I don't need to answer, because Rhiannon said it best.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Small scale societies where you . . .
Sep 08, 2003, 20:03
How is that incompatible with so-called "capitalism"?

Which should more correctly be called "free market enterprise." Capitalism was a prejorative term coined by Karl Marx.

Centrally-planned state-run economies like in the Communist countries certainly have nothing to do with local control or personal responsibility . . . .
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: Small scale societies where you . . .
Sep 08, 2003, 20:17
Capitalism may be pejorative in marx's eyes, but nowadays (i.e capitalism.org) it seems to have been adopted by the laissez faire bunch.

So can we please use the word for argument's sake mr Dog? ;-)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Small scale societies where you . .
Sep 08, 2003, 20:20
Surely capitalism is concerned with purely the making of more and more capital. And, not necessarily anything to do with the 'free market' as envisaged by Adam Smith?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Capitalism the term
Sep 08, 2003, 20:27
Absolutely the "projorative" has been adopted by it's suppporters . . . . Forbes magazine used to use "CAPITALIST TOOL" as their slogan, etc.

Just wanted to point out it's kind of a loaded term, one that comes out of Marxist (in my opinion extremely flawed) analysis. "Capital" isn't really the point, it's "free markets."

I prefer a individual-centric analysis to class-centric Marxism. You know, people being be free to make their own decisions and all that . . .
morfe lux
301 posts

Sep 08, 2003, 20:27
Hi Rhiannon. Can you help by telling me what you mean by 'small scale societies'? How does capitalism relate to the size of 'society'?

I'm a bit crap at talking about 'society' as I came to the conclusion recently that it (society) doesn't exist! I really think we are a each individuals, with support networks (or not) supplied by family/friends (or not), (in the UK) welfare, and council tax. Whether or not those things constitute something that could be called 'society' is probably academic. But I'd be interested to know what you meant by 'smaller societies', and how they are in opposition or different to capitalism(free trade)?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Small scale societies where you . .
Sep 08, 2003, 20:32
"Free markets" are a reality in many parts of the world (granted it's a relative term -- no market is "completely free" but the important distinction is State control of the economy vs. "market control", supply & demand setting prices and all that.)

"Capitalism" is not some anthropromorphic entity that has "concerns." Individuals have concerns, and "acquiring more capital" is only one possible concern a person could have (though it seems to be a major concern of many people.)
Pages: 18 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index