Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: I've got it !
Mar 09, 2013, 23:08
harestonesdown wrote:
tiompan wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
tiompan wrote:
I know you want to wait for the book but do you mind me asking when the moving of stones was undertaken, Prehistory or more recently? I have no reason for asking just interested and because of you're book i understand if you don't want to say, the prehistry one works best for me because if it was more recently we'd most probably know about it, most big lifts are since the industrial revolution, the prehistory model could work in two ways - the first build quickly fell, so they decided to build it differently next time or they just didn't like it or something was in their minds just plain wrong, there's a chance that at a lot of these places they moved stones around that weren't supporting anything, do you know of anywhere the none supporting sidestones were moved around at all George?

No knowledge of any that have been moved around for certain . As they are often not supporting the capstone they are quite easily nicked , so some tripod dolmens my originally have had side stones but are now gone http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/1055/legananny.html But Pentre Ifan was excavated and there was no evidence for any on the east .

I suppose flankers could have just been leaned against the structure, the weight equal on all sides surely could have been handled by these massive cap stones. They'd have to reach that height though, which we know many didn't.

Which stones do you mean by the flankers ?

The side stones that would "box in" the structure. Non supportive ones.[/quote]

And supportive ones in classy dolmens!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index