Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Mar 03, 2013, 07:46
Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 03, 2013, 07:28
nigelswift wrote:
[
But I'm fascinated by the idea of artificially constructed tenons and mortises. They might look like that because a nobble tends to settle into a hollow, but were they deliberately constructed? Would such a thing be necessary if the structure was intended to be buried? It's a fact that a capstone resting on three points (not 4) is extremely stable, would further engineering specifications be needed?

Well it was you that mentioned mortise and tenons Nigel not me, I just showed you a photograph of an angled upright with 'knobbles on it! But I have got another that will interest you but you're seeing that one yet :-)
With regard to it being buried, I take it you mean under a mound? If so, where is the proof for that at Trethevy? I see a banked area at the base securing the stones but that's all. It was 'open for business' for centuries (it would seem) so the structure didn't need covering to keep it structurally sound during that time. If you read all the accounts of Trethevy you will find that they all suppose that the capstone was raised much higher than it is now at the rear and the original backstone lies prostrate inside the chamber. If that's true, how would you stop the ingress of cairn material into the open chamber if it was totally covered? Maybe it wasn't a backstone at all. Again we have taken it as read because our peers say it was. We are allowed to challenge them and that's what I've done and ofered evidence for and shown the obvious alternatives.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index