Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Just messing.
Mar 09, 2013, 13:46
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Surely there would be an indication of small movement prior to the big one , certainly enough to find a replacement . If one of the stones had become dislodged then wouldn't it make more sense to fix that first ? If there was a problem , using stones from the structure doesn't make sense either . BTW Emmanulle Mens reckons that the stones at Sperris ,Zennor and Trethevy were quarried rather than using the rounded slabs from the tors .

I can't speak for Sperris as I've not seen it but like Zennor it has tor formations right there at hand as well as other outcrops with straight edges which could 'easily' be cut to shape so I don't know George. Trethevy has got at least four worked stones although the experts say only the closure is. I would call that one more 'dressed' rather than worked if you know what I mean!

It's an interesting suggestion , and Mens knows what he is talking about . It ties in with a similar suggestions about Pentre Ifan and other Welsh portal tombs where it has been suggested (by those who are not as qualified as Mens ) that the capstones were lifted straight up from where quarried . There are pits below these capstones but no direct evidence that is where they were sourced from .I should add that Mens doesn't suggest that any of the Cornish capstones were lifted straight from the quarrying site .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index