Mar 08, 2013, 18:47
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
He did miss out the padstone which Dymond didn't .

Which is strange in as he'd have surely seen the Dymond plan before doing his, why do you think he missed it? and which stone is the padstone?

He may have thought it unimportant but they are relatively common in portal tombs . I mentioned it a few posts ago , mainly because it's only noticeable on a few of the pics eg 68 &73, there is another pic where it is clearer but I couldn't find it after a quick look .

I'm now feeling foolish but where on the quoit am i looking? sorry about this but i really want to learn, when you wrote it the other day i wondered as well.

It's the small stone between the the ante-chamber stone and the doorstone

Thanks george, Do you know what were they for?

Often missed on pics they are most common under capstones .Buffers and making up for the gaps I spose is the most likely explanation .

Have you ever been to Trethevy and/or Zennor George? I just wondered because the top of the sidestone at Zennor is shaped to hold a stone between the capstone and [big]chamber that would have pretty much sealed the chamber, the stone [if it was ever there] has gone, but do you know of anywhere else that has a chamber sealed like that, because if the old drawings correct the capstone never sealed it, I hope you know what i'm on about as i'm not very good at explaining myself.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index