433 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 03, 2013, 12:52
Littlestone wrote:
Well, I’ll keep an open mind on whether it's stood in its present form for millennia but, based on Sanctuary’s observations there, I’m 95% sure that it hasn’t. In fact the more I look at it (and I confess I haven’t been there) the more it looks like a folly and something constructed by someone who didn’t know the faintest about dolmens – how they should look and how best to keep them standing.

The jury’s out but I really do recommend anyone who’s interested in Trethevy and its long-term prospects to look at Sanctuary's DVD (and book when it comes out).

The sub title to said book is The Rise and Near Fall of a Neolithic Cornish Portal Dolman.
I believe very strongly that 4 of the eight stones are now out of position, a situation that arose due to the capstone slipping to the side of the main orthostat when a major joint failed. I further believe I know how the joint failed but not when. It could have been right from the onset but much more likely in more 'modern' times otherwise the structure would have collapsed long ago.
Everything I say is logical and I am very proud of myself for working it out and being able to show it in actual and model form. None of it is ground-breaking, just common sense which doesn't seem to have been applied here before but I will let others judge me once they have read what I have to say.
I will welcome all serious comments and questions once the book has been read so will leave it there for now if you don't mind.
Cheers
Roy
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index