Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger/Nigel
Mar 05, 2013, 15:04
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Nigel, you asked the other day if I had any photos proving movement at Trethevy. Have a look at this and form your own opinion.

The first pic is a plan of the quoit by Barnatt in 1982. Look at stone four which has a large gap between it and the stone next to it. Now look at the second pic and see how the capstone has drawn it forward until leaning against that same stone. Stone 4 is the one on the right taken from inside the tomb. I'll leave it to you to decide.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/TrethevyMisplacedStone?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6zhta3xbPxGA#

Nah, it hasn't moved at all.
;)

Seriously, although I can't really work out what's what, if you say you have definite evidence it's moving I obviously accept you're right. So it does come down to the fact an engineer needs to give some written assurances about the implications.

My evidence is that it has moved Nigel, everyone can see that, it is the still moving bit that takes time to evaluate unless there is a sudden and noticable movement, in which case run for cover! Movement will be continual but very gradual. The 'weak' spot is the cut-out door area, either to its base or at the height of the door. This cut-out removes 1'-9" off the width of the Closure Stone and is under immense pressure. Because there is now no support for the capstone at the front end from the side flankers because they no longer reach the underside of the capstone it has gone beyond its point of balance and favours forward movement where originally its weight was evenly distributed.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index