Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 01, 2013, 15:07
Littlestone wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Quite what is being done to keep stock off the banked base to the monument in the future when allowed to graze in the field I am yet to find out, but I do know that there is an exclusion zone written-in to the deeds which go with the land. Obviously this was breached but what the outcome will be to that I don't know.

Be interesting to know how far the exclusion zone actually extends. The deeds are presumably with English Heritage – could ask them for a copy, and if they’re reluctant to comply a Freedom of Information request maybe? If EH have failed to enforce the exclusion zone they’re on shaky ground (pun intended :-)

Well I've never seen horses in the field before only sheep (if they're not bad enough as it is but EH doesn't seem to worry about them elsewhere, Avebury being an example) and I believe the exclusion zone is 6ft. Now, if the landowner was to comply with that if horses came in again, I wonder if he can then erect a solid fence around the quoit (being his land) just leaving an entrance for the public to enter? It would preserve the monument from the horses but be pretty dull to look at wouldn't it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index