Trethevy Quoit in danger

Pages: 44 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Trethevy Quoit in danger
Feb 27, 2013, 18:29
An update on the damage being done to the cairn/bank by horses/ponies and vehicles at Trethevy Quoit and all because of inconsiderate b*stards. I hope they throw the book at them. Quite appalling and a damn good case for an exclusion zone to be formed around it while it still stands. How much more warning will it take?
As most will know I have spent a great deal of time at the quoit over the past 18 months researching and it breaks my heart to see Cornwall's 'Jewel in the Crown' being abused so badly.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/119240/news/trethevy_quoit.html
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Feb 27, 2013, 19:01
Sanctuary wrote:
An update on the damage being done to the cairn/bank by horses/ponies and vehicles at Trethevy Quoit and all because of inconsiderate b*stards. I hope they throw the book at them. Quite appalling and a damn good case for an exclusion zone to be formed around it while it still stands. How much more warning will it take?
As most will know I have spent a great deal of time at the quoit over the past 18 months researching and it breaks my heart to see Cornwall's 'Jewel in the Crown' being abused so badly.

Well reported Roy, just had a look at your Youtube film. Yes I agree the damage is appalling. I'm assuming these are wild ponies? Unfortunately the ground has been so sodden this winter horses are creating havoc everywhere but I agree with you this should not have been allowed to happen. Hopefully the damage can be repaired when the ground dries out a bit.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 19:05
It's clearly awful, I've seen it myself, I'm just glad we've got you looking out for the place, hopefully they'll keep those horse's out and it wasn't just that they weren't there when you were there.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 19:16
Awful. How come there have been so many horses and tractors and stuff?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 19:33
That's grim Roy. Do you think the state is worse than when you went with the EH person?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 19:37
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

Well reported Roy, just had a look at your Youtube film. Yes I agree the damage is appalling. I'm assuming these are wild ponies? Unfortunately the ground has been so sodden this winter horses are creating havoc everywhere but I agree with you this should not have been allowed to happen. Hopefully the damage can be repaired when the ground dries out a bit.

No not wild at all June, privately owned and in a closed in field! I hope the landowner gets what's due to him/her.
I'm in contact with our local Heritage at Risk Officer and EH have the matter in hand. It doesn't really end with the horses and vehicles, because now that the ground is soft, visitors are and will still be walking over the remaining cairn/bank which as the video shows is all but gone in places. Having researched and looked very carefully at the structure and method of build over a fair period now I have got to realise how important the banked area is to the stability of the monument and it should be reinstated to a much greater area than it is now. I am of the opinion that the 'cairn' material is not the remains of a cairn or mound at all like believed, but the stabilising foundation. I'm pressing for an immediate 'fence' to be erecting around the monument as a matter of great urgency. Will it be done?...we'll see!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 19:44
thesweetcheat wrote:
That's grim Roy. Do you think the state is worse than when you went with the EH person?

Oh yes MUCH worse Alken. They have the vid and things are in hand. At least the horses have been ousted but I fear for all the kids that use the quoit as a den just as much as I do for the monument itself. It needs keeping off until remedial repairs have taken place and that is where I stand at the moment but it is ongoing.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 19:51
It's a shame it's got worse since EH visited, but well done to you for getting them to take some action.

It would be terrible if it collapsed, although obviously you don't want to end up with either a Notgrove lump or a permanent fence immediately around the chamber (in my opinion).
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 20:07
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's a shame it's got worse since EH visited, but well done to you for getting them to take some action.

It would be terrible if it collapsed, although obviously you don't want to end up with either a Notgrove lump or a permanent fence immediately around the chamber (in my opinion).

I can't say too much more Alken due to the situation, but I know that the landowner is legally obliged to erect a 'fence' around the monument when stock is in the field no less that 6ft away from the bank. Clearly this has not been done. This is Cornwall's last surviving complete cromlech and it must be protected because it will fall one day if not cared for much more. If a sympathetic fence was erected around it at a reasonable distance away then so be it. I'd much prefer to see it standing there proudly then lying on the ground like a jigsaw puzzle waiting to be put back together!!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Feb 27, 2013, 20:25
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

I can't say too much more Alken due to the situation, but I know that the landowner is legally obliged to erect a 'fence' around the monument when stock is in the field no less that 6ft away from the bank. Clearly this has not been done. This is Cornwall's last surviving complete cromlech and it must be protected because it will fall one day if not cared for much more. If a sympathetic fence was erected around it at a reasonable distance away then so be it. I'd much prefer to see it standing there proudly then lying on the ground like a jigsaw puzzle waiting to be put back together!!

Don't you go dissing Chun : > }
Pages: 44 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index