Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: 'True' meanings of words
Sep 06, 2002, 16:21
I don’t think that any two words are truly synonymous, I’m deffo with you there. Whilst there are times when one word can be substituted for another appropriately, it is no way the case that one word could be so subbed all the time.

Where I would disagree is about the ‘poetic’ use of words. Three examples: homosexual; gay; queer.
Which of these is ‘true’? Should we stick to homosexual cos it is the (most) original of the three? Do you object to people of that sexual persuasion ‘appropriating’ the word gay, and stopping it being used in its original (well, probably not original, but previous) sense?

I often (but by no means always) like the poetic use of words. It often conveys a deeper AND TRUER sense of the word/phrase whatever. In the example you gave, I think that’s a fine use of a word. It gives the clear impression that it completely made up, gone thru a process rather than being ‘evolved’ or natural in any way.

Language is about conveying meaning. And meanings change as society changes. So the words we use change. I don’t think it is possible to stop that process of change, or think its particularly desirable.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index