Re: guarding vans
Sep 04, 2002, 13:03
> 'The party' is suppossed to be the 'memory
> of the class', and far better than anyone else
> i think it is the far left that act in that way,
> that do recall previous struggles and try to
> learn from them
>
So what happens if you're not part of "the class"? My big problem with the far left is this bloody obsession with "the working class". I was born into a working class family in a less than splendid area of Dublin. By the time i was 12 my father (ambitious guy that he was back then) had improved our economic situation drastically and i was living in a massive house in an exclusive area of Athens.

What does this say about me? That i was working class, but then became upper-middle class? And if so, what the hell relevance does that have given the fact that i had nothing to do with it? Am i a class traitor at age 12 'cos of what my Dad did? Should my back be against the wall come the revolution?

Or is the whole notion of "class" merely a way of creating divisions between people, lowering the overall levels of empathy within our society, and introducing artificial social boundaries designed precisely to prevent "the working class" from getting 'ideas above their station'?

The working class is simply a progression of serfdom. The whole 'class' structure is a painfully divisive construct. And it doesn't exist for the benefit of those on the "lower" tiers. If being part of a social revolution means having to self-apply a 'class label', means accepting that human beings can be classified in such a way, then it ain't a revolution i want any part of.

Look at history... look at the failure of all the socio-political systems we've put in place thus far. There are two lessons i have learnt from that.

Firstly; organising society by the rules of an economic system is utter madness (market capitalism and Marxism are both essentially about wealth distribution... which would be great if wealth could be shown to make people happy and fulfilled).

Secondly; that any successful method of running society needs (perhaps more than anything else) to be as inclusive as it can. It needs as few imposed divisions between human beings as possible. And any revolution that gets us there will have to abandon adherence to a class, and will have to focus less on the "means of production" and more on the value of human life.

So when you tell me that "the party is the memory of the class", you are telling me that i'm not invited 'cos of how my Dad chose to live his life. Jeez... what's the difference between that and an aristocracy?

I went through a full-on Marxist / leftist thing when i was a student (i think it was a requirement of my philosophy degree actually). But i have since realised that if we're looking for inspiration on how to organise our society, then perhaps we should be heeding folks like the Dalai Lama rather than Karl Marx.

But that's just me being an idealist (as well as trying to get across my dismay at our willingness to subject our lives to economics). I certainly don't want to get into an argument about left-right politics... they never really achieve anything, i don't think.

oh, and this is all just my opinion. I'm not claiming "The Truth", and though i'm sure my rhetoric gives that impression at times - it's just a writing style.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index