Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

o feck n boogarry
Sep 04, 2002, 17:33
not sure quite how you're defining green here...(or how i am entirely)

but (sorry, but tired old) rant about the SWP just turning up at demo's to give out there placardshow do i keep letting myself get drawn into defending the swp even tho i'll agree with at least half your criticisms, and know they ae very full of shit in sooooo many ways
i dunno ,but:
1)the notion that the SWP turn up late just to hand out placards n then sod off is just not true. i always had to make sure there were people there early, to set up stalls, talk to people, give out placards, sell papers, and (when relevant) to ensure things were safely stewarded and others informed what the demo is about. we did often bugger off early its true, cos the speeches were normally so fecking dull!
2)why shouldnt the SWP put its name on the top of the placards? its pretty easy to tear them off if you wanna do that (and it would also be very easy to make the banner in such a way that it couldnt be easilly torn off, but thats not the case). if they didnt do it, saomebody would definitely be having a go at them for 'hiding' and trying to sneak their placards out dishinestly - they just cant bloody win!
3)paper sellers going down the side of the demo - some do, most dont. no,i'm sorry its true. most SWp people will be IN the demo - you just cant see them cos they're inside, whilst the ones on the edges are blody obvious. and ythose people are useful - they let people on the pavement who arent in the demo know whats gpoing on and talk to them about it - i got lots of people to JOIN the demo doing just that. surely thats a good thing.

a question - what dso you actually DO on a demo? these days i normally wander along the street join uin a few chants and chat to me mates. seems to me talking to other people about the (whjatever it is) is a pretty good thing - a demo isnt just an end in itself, thhey only really have any use if they lead on to other forms of action. its seems like a good thing to try to organise that.

there are many many many very good reasons to have a go at the swp, and other such organisations. just dont think you choise very good ones that time.

rich
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index