Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Not foolish at all
Sep 05, 2002, 15:14
Earlier in this thread, you said "you sell your labour, or you exploit other peoples labour" as a quick and easy way to define class.

Surely everyone does both?

In my last 'proper' job, my manager had three tiers of management above her within sight of her desk! She was under *such* pressure, clearly downtrodden from above, and all for a shitty feckin wage that was below what I used to earn as a menial farm labourer. Yet she would be 'middle class' cos she's a team leader?

Also, in consumer society we are in a position of control over other peoples labour because we buy/don't buy what they produce. Can someone who fits your definition of 'working class' who goes and buys, say, a CD player made by 15 year olds on 14 hour shifts in China or some sewatshop trainers honestly be said to be not exploiting other peoples labour?

Just cos they're paying someone else to ship it to them doesn't mean they're not directly responsible, any more than a person who hires acontract killer is innocent of murder.

These definitions are too clumsy, I can't find anyone they actually fit. I have to side with Grufty Jim and FourWinds on this, these phrases - while they may once have had meaning - nowadays seems at best anachronisitc and at worst a device to keep people divided.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index