Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: o feck n boogarry
Sep 05, 2002, 15:01
"the notion that the SWP turn up late just to hand out placards n then sod off is just not true"

I was in Prague for the World Bank/IMF thing. The SWP organised coaches to Prague. They turned up on the morning of the main march, went behind the yellow route (which was always gonna be blocked at a 4-lane road brige so didn't need bolstering, unlike the other routes that actually got to the Conference Centre), then sodded off at the end of the afternoon!

If they were gonna turn up during the 3-day meeting, why not do it on one of the 2 other days when there's more need for numbers? Halfway across Europe for no effect whatsoever!

When I got back from Prague, guess who were already doing public meetings with 'eyewitness' accounts?

You are tight that the speakers are feckin dull. Indeed, marches are feckin dull. Why walk around for 3 hours to listen to some MP or trade unionist tell you why you're there? I *know* why I'm there, otherwise I wouldn't be there!

Yet the SWP, in another of it's anachronisms and waste of focus, keeps on plugging away with marches on the streets and speakers.

I have to suspect that it's because these things are marshalled and disciplined, they keep a clear divison between the homgenised mass and the elite who have a clear voice. Having members of the group acting autonomously, as if their opinion wrere equal to that of a Central Committee member, would undermine the power of those at the top.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index