Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: How about this
Sep 06, 2002, 13:09
Words change their meaning all the time.. its in their nature. it is not - in itself - adulteration of language. tho you are absolutely right about shit like Human Resources and all this repugnant management speak @Do not allow the adulteration of our language to meet the needs of the powers that be.' as you say, spot on.

does any word have 'a more significant true meaning'? We invented all these words yonks ago, we probably don't know there original meaning. And i don't belkieve any word can have a 'true' meaning, just one we are well used to. Because they're all inventions, so they can mean anything. A rose by any other name and all that.

i think I'm with Wittgenstein here: 'words mean however they are used'

And don't diss printers, there is great skill in printing, its not a simple task ny any means, especially if you are going to reprint something like the Book of Kells. getting all the colurs right is an amazingly hard job. Is the paper appropriate? Is it the right size etc etc. I'm not just tryinbg to be a petty awkward git here, its just that you seem to be overstating the extent to which mechanisation destroys
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index