Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

who exploits who?
Sep 05, 2002, 16:17
as a consumer what power do i really have? not that much i dont think.

no, i dont agree for one second that someone who buys somethying made in a sweatshop is exploiting the worker who made it. why not? because that consumer is not benefitting from that workers exploitation. for one thing they have little real choice in what kind of product to buy (if they want that product), and secondly, and most importantly, because they are in no way benefitting from that exploitation. You would (I would guess) argue that they are getting the item cheaper than if the worker were paid a 'fair' wage, but i don't think that's true. Just because peoipla re paid less doesn't mean the goods cost less, no it tends to mean the mother fucker that owns the company makes bigger profits. benefitting nobody but themselves.

i think ther is a grea tdanger of moralism developinbg from what you say ther, leading some people to adopting a 'pure' lifestyle 'uncontaminated' by practises they see as exploitative, when all they are actually doing is shoving there heads in the sand and ignoruing matters
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index