Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

skills n creativeness
Sep 06, 2002, 14:47
I don’t think I’ve misunderstood your distinction. Just that I don’t entirely agree with it. I know what you mean about there being a distinction between ‘skilled’ and ’creative’, and to a certain extent you are right. But I think there is an element of creativity in everything we do. In one sense it’s quite straightforward – everything we do ‘creates’ something. Hence is creative. I don’t think you are meaning creative in that sense. But it’s no coincidence that that word has multiple meanings (none of which could be said to be the ‘true’ meaning I don’t think). So creative is the very act of creating anything, as well as being (what I think you mean) something that requires originality and inventiveness.

But loads and loads of jobs require that at some point, even when they are generally defined by tedious repetition. So in the printshop I used to work in the majority of the time the inkers job was to pour a can of a particular colour ink into the relevant trays. Thrilling huh? But occasionally, you’d run out of ink, or not have exactly the shade you wanted, so you’d have to piss around and mix something up. Or nick it from the ‘special’ Private Eye stuff. Equally, even on a conveyor belt job there are moments of creativity – finding ways of getting more work done whilst using less labour is incredibly creative! (and not necessarily even ‘anti-company’ as it were), putting the papers in in a lovely pretty order, or an ‘amusing’ order.

Of course some jobs are far far more creative than others. But still I think every job always retains SOME element of creativity within it.

Creativity is (one of) the hallmarks of being this wonderful thing called ‘human’. We can’t be help use it!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index