114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: A Word from George Orwell
Sep 05, 2002, 19:59
damn straight!

The thing is; i actually agree with much of the substance behind what necropolist says. Not all of it, of course, but that's cool, 'cos we're different people and can be civil to one another, and indeed become friends, despite differences of opinion... no need to toe a party line, eh?

HOWEVER.

Despite agreeing with where necropolist is coming from (a dismay at the injustice that surrounds us; a wish to address the inequitable distribution of resources; and a rejection of the idea that most of my life should be spent making someone else rich; right?). Despite feeling such similar things, the far left chooses to make its struggle contingent upon "class". In doing so, it quite deliberately excludes me.

I'm not working class. That's just the way it is. I'm not rich or anything... but there's no definition of 'working class' that i'm aware of that will hold me. And if there were? I'd reject it completely. Cos not only am i not working class; i don't want to be working class.

I am not "a worker". I'm a human being. I'm a decent enough writer of prose. I'm a dreadful poet. I'm a huge fan of Talking Heads. I'm a shade over 6'1''. I'm male and i'm from Ireland originally, and i'm many many things. But i'd rather eat my own flesh than label myself "a worker".

So the "workers revolution" excludes me. Or if it doesn't then the left is defining things pretty damn loosely. I perceive the same problems (and i see some problems where they don't... and vice versa), and i too wish to affect a change, to address some of those problems. But whereas i want any person who feels the same to help in whatever way they can; the left only wants "workers"... a clique... and only wants them if they toe the party line.

And necropolist; if you say "but that's not the case.. we *are* inclusive and we *are* open to internal debate and non-hierarchical change", then please drop the 19th century language. I ain't a worker. I work, sure, but i will never join an organisation that defines me as "one who does a job".

Cos frankly... that's just a corporation; and i've already spent enough of my life in them to know that i don't need that level of dehumanisation in my life.

groove on.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index