Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: A Word from George Orwell
Sep 06, 2002, 12:25
I totally agree with you ... now there's a first! Most programming today is, just as you say - like using Lego. I am fortunate enough to not work with these foul things and work in an R&D area using just C++ and so enjoy slightly more freedom.

I agree that flair and individuality are seen as a risk by most people/employers, that is why folks are happy to work with Windows! - everything looks and feels the same - customers are safe with that. But I would strenghthen my argument by saying this is because they don't want to spend the time training people and creating a skilled worker. Companies want software that anyone can use so that they can maintain high levels of staff turnover and keep wages low. Keeping a job simple is not to aid the worker, but the boss. If you start to believe the opposite then you are complying with their evil designs or something.

Sadly, even the work I do in an R&D enviroment is restricted to a certain extent by these considerations. I do get to put a lot of 'me' in there but not enough. Quite often a lot of it is ... erm .. Market Trimmed was one term I once heard :-)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index