Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

errr...
Sep 04, 2002, 14:49
Upon re-reading your previous post necropolist, and then my response, i realise that i (a) didn't really address the stuff you raised, and (b) don't really disagree with all of it by a long way.

i just got onto a riff with my rhetoric (sounds like a Tanita Tikaram single) and let it wander.

You're right that currently the power structures of the capitalist system are maintained by corporations and companies that require "worker complicity". Hence any organisation to change those power structures needs those people on-side.

However, you and i both know that much of the talk of "class struggle" that goes on in the far left is not concerned with human values or a more equitable division of resources. It's about gaining power and "running things differently". And Marxism is so mired in the notion of "progress" and "production" that it can never be an environmentally responsible system.

Not that there aren't some responsible clear thinkers in the far left who feel that this is the best route to positive change. I accept that those people exist and are perhaps even numerous. But that's not really what class solidarity and workers revolution is all about.

It's about seizing the factories and doing exactly the same thing but with you in charge.

(not 'you' personally y'dig? "You" in the abstract).

Again, my ultimate problem with the left's obsession with class is that it is an attempt to organise change based around something that needs to be abolished. They may claim that ultimately it's all about the abolition of class; but that's smoke and mirrors.

It's about as realistic as my solution that we all recognise the value of our life is rooted precisely in how valuable we treat all life.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index