Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: who exploits who?
Sep 06, 2002, 10:15
someone writes something i think is wrong, stupid, or just plain weird there is pretty much also always something that raises an interesting point that i hadn't taken into consideration before. and, yeah, its well mannerred - forceful, strongly put, take no prisoners maybe, but never deliberately offensive, unlike yeah, pretty much any other board i wander over. which i s v cool indeed. and if i've come close to failing to match those standards lately it's only cos i still really really REALLY want a bloody CIGARETTE!!! grrrr, (9 days, 9 hours, 24 minutes now).

But, back to the polemic, (you lily livered pathetic bourgeoise liberal corporate cock suckers you.....whoops!)

Would mostly agree with what you're saying but - 'have you seen how many shoes/crisps/etc there are out there?'

not half as many as you think. in fact not 10% as many as you might think. this is capitalism, it offers utterly flase choices. how many crisps? two or three. there are only two or three crisp MANUFACTURERS (which is the point i think, unless you wanna argue that there is a fundamental principled difference between salt & vinegar and worcestire sauce flavours). Pretty much likewise shoes, medicines, hell most of what we buy, theres no real 'competition', tis another capitalist illusion.

there are other choices - but it can be incredibly difficult to try to tell your 13 year old kid why they can't have Nike when 'all' there mates are doing. and we may have a technical choice about buying those £1 t-shirts that (you are absolutely right) are made in appalling conditions. unless you are on the dole and need a shirt, then one for a quid makes a hell of a lot of sense. Better (imo) to gtry and tackle the problem at a ore root level - try joining the No Sweat campaign (http:\\www.nosweat.org.uk) - not that the two things are mutually incompatible of course.

how is a consumer 'directly respponsible' for the production methods - most of the trime they are prevented from knowing how goods are produced. and for the majority of people finding out just how things are done just isn't practical. there are always many many more things that individuals could be doing to make the world a better place. i think there is a danger with phrasing things in the 'it's your fault!!' way (which is what i think you are saying, even if inadvertently) is that people will just go, 'aah well, what can i do then, fuck it!' and not do anything.

bloody hell, was gonna try and be brief.,....failed again
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index