Voting for the lesser of two evils

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: A Word from George Orwell
Sep 06, 2002, 10:21
I am really not sure about your assertion that even conveyor belt jobs or call centre jobs can have an element of creativity. Not artistic creativity anyway. There is certainly no inventive creativity present.

UNLESS, of course you break the rules and refund loads of bank charges on your last day :-) or 'break' their rules - the bosses rules.

The very ideal of post Victorian industrialisation has been to remove all personal touches from work and remove the status of 'craftsman'. At one time a craftsman was seen as an expert, someone to be revered, someone to be respected, someone with an almost magical ability to create. This also means they are not only a person who needs to be paid more highly thana machine operator, but they are almost an equal to the 'ruling' class, and therefor something to be eliminated.

At interviews you always get asked 'where you want to be in 5 years'. I have always answered that I still want to be a computer programmer, NEVER a team leader or management etc.. This is because I am a craftsman and I have always been fortunate enough to have jobs in R&D type roles whereby I can create. I am not claiming superiority over others here with this statement, but am pointing out that even in today's production line based industrial system you can still be a craftsmen. People are constantly being told that they are the same. Everybody loves Coka-Cola and Nike shoes and this car and that quick meal. Adverts constantly tell us that we are all the same, whilst always sneaking in ones that say - "if you want to be different try brand X instead of brand Y that everyone else uses."

There is no need to break the mould. Just refuse to be put into it. 'The class mold' is a post birth process that you are forced through from an early age. Your individuality is squeezed out of you in order to make you fit into 'the mold'. All you have to do is reject 'the mold' and regain that individuality. There are certain bits you can't escape from very easily, paying bills, needing money etc, but you can reduce the role of this soul restrictions if you really want to. The first step in this process is to reject the idea of class. That is the first step in the process of fitting you into your place in society. You are working class or lower class, whatever. And then, once you have accepted this as fact - "therefor you will do this and will not do that, because you are working class. Oh and by the way, you will NEVER do this" - follows.

Just a long ramble that is probably very disjointed ... sorry.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index