The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
how deep is your love?

110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: Fed up with this lark...
Nov 04, 2005, 13:37
Thank you, Jane, for that link. It was fun having a little refresher of all that poohbah. My major of concentration in college was "The Epsitemology of Religious Statements." A fascinating topic, huh? I got to hash over the Copenhagen Interpretation, "The Cloud of Unknowing" and dozens of both wildeyed and hidebound explanations of what is what in the world of knowing. In the end, it really all comes down to how one is using the words "know" and "knowledge." English is much more poetic and connotative than most languages or than people give it credit for. We English speakers regularly use the same word in many different contexts, expecting (hah!) the context to provide the specific definition.

"I know Bob." "I know Bob's a member of TMA." "I know Bob is a projection of a Platonic ideal form on my consciousness." "I know God loves Bob as He loves us all." All these claims are based on some type of experience and some type of logic that justifies them TO THE SPEAKER. Some people require more rigorous justification than do others before they'll accept any of these claims as knowledge. But everyone has, somewhere in their murky and muddled minds, SOME experiences that seem TO THEM reasonable justifications for their claims to "know."

Before any discussions can take place, people have to agree on the amount and means of justification they'll accept. Until THAT's done, no consensus on a statement's being "knowledge" is possible. And trying to get any bunch of folks to agree on justification is like trying to herd cats. As we see from this thread.

Isn't this fun?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index