how deep is your love?

110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: Fed up with this lark...
Nov 02, 2005, 12:58
'Knowledge is proveable and based on the perceived authority of the person giving the knowledge. Belief requires a 'leap of faith', that is trust in the authority stating the claim.'

Ah but what is proof? The application of rules using assumed truths as a basis. All theoretical scientific truths are based upon the belief that the axioms used are fundamentally true. Bend or break the axioms and other 'truths' become clear. For instance Newtonian mechanics becomes relativity and then via quantum mechanics to a possible 'theory of everything'. Science & knowledge is based upon observation of phenomena and trying to map rules to what you've seen.

I guess what I'm blathering towards, is thats its all belief fundamentally. Some of the beliefs are more rational than others (eg The ground won't give way beneath me as I walk down the street vs a grid of energy lines covering the planet), but its all still belief.
I believe that today the rest of the world won't disapear and leave me encased in pink goo, but I don't know.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index