how deep is your love?

110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Re: Fed up with this lark...
Nov 03, 2005, 00:28
That sounds very interesting, I'm completely fascinated by odd things people believe but more importantly the psychological need to escape rationality and reality.

I think one of The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy books started this off for me years ago, the bit where the ultimate weapon or somesuch was a machine that demonstrated to you exactly how insignicant you are as a person compared to the size of the entire universe. It completely fried your brain and drove you insane (wasn't Douglas Adams a genious!). That got me thinking about how far we go to avoid reality in our minds, and 'beliefs' are truly an attempt to deal with that, with all the odd and frightening side effects we've seen through history and will no doubt see in the future. Our minds are flexible, reality isn't, so its always peoples minds that get bent out of shape when reality rarely ever does. Its also a truism that the stronger the belief without reason, the more likely it is over-compensating for a bad relationship with stark reality.

I dont have BBC 2 I think but I might get a friend to tape that one. Cheers!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index