138 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re: reality
May 20, 2004, 10:08
A few points spring to mind.

1. We all inhabit and, to some extent create, our own reality. Each of us perceives the universe through our own filters and senses. Most of the time we do not share a consensus reality. Thus what seems solid and real to one person may seem utterly wrong to another. We each have a separate frame of reference.

2. The natural/supernatural point. This reminds me of the saying that any sufficiently advanced science will appear to be magic to people with less advanced frame of reference. This is another way of saying that no matter how unbelievable or weird an occurance may be, there may be a scientific explanation for it. I think someone else touched on this point elsewhere in the thread.

3. The exploding items. These remind me of the conversation between Freud and Jung, where they hear a loud retort from behind a bookcase. Jung predicts that a second bang will sound, and when it does it freaks Freud right out. I can’t remember all the details of this incident (perhaps someone else knows the reference), but it seemed to me to illustrate that these “random” strange occurrences/synchronicities may be triggered or in some way related to the people who are around when they happen.

I don’t know how relevant these points are, but I thought I’d share my thoughts. I find this discussion very interesting and stimulating.

Squid
x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index