Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The weekend

138 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Reality and the possibility of other...
May 20, 2004, 08:22
"were the rules of physics part of the plan?"

There are scientists who argue that the laws of physics seem to have been specially "tailored" to allow life to be possible.

The Earth is just the right distance from the Sun to allow water to be a liquid, rather than ice or steam, thus making life possible. But in many ways it's hard to think of this as "design" or a "plan". Of course life (ie. us) would find itself in a place where life was possible.

The same could be argued of the laws of physics. Perhaps there are many other universes (a proposition that is seriously considered by many cutting-edge cosmologists - something to do with string, I hear) with laws of physics that make life (as we know it) impossible.

Of course we live in a universe where the laws of physics make life possible. We would hardly find ourselves in one where they made life impossible.

All that said, when I consider the vast (or from the perspective of infinity, tiny) journey that life has made, through evolution, I find it hard not see purpose (ie. a plan). I don't claim to fully understand what that purpose is, though! I just know that endless helium eventually evolved into a human being. I also agree with what you say about our present state not being the ultimate goal of nature's plans for where life is going.

(cosmology? - I eat it before breakfast)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index