The weekend

138 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Yes, but...
May 18, 2004, 09:04
I would say that you are only able to appreciate the principles of TV and radio etc because someone has told you some facts and because you respect that persons opinion you accept them. I know you can use an oscilloscope to see wave forms, but unless you've built that yourself do you *really* know that's it's doing the right job. There's still an awful lot of faith in other people's words in our everyday acceptence of things like TV.

"I'm quite happy to change my mind if you can show me some real evidence or describe a plausible mechanism."

Like Lethbridge I'm not qualified to give that explanation, even with my GeoPhys experience. Lethbridge's lovable approach (afterall he was just an archaeologist by training, not a scientist) was to say that enough people have indepently witnessed these things, something must be responsible and here's one idea.

In his (rather mad) book "The Sons of God: A Fantasy?" he poses two questions, which are not relevent here. The book has about 12 chapters. At the end of chapter 9 he says something like, "Well, we haven't managed to answer the first question, so let's look at the other one" !!!!!!!!

He rarely falls into the New Age plague of stating observations and theories as fact. He did, however, have the balls to raise questions that no one knows the answers to (and at the time seemed afraid to look at them scientifically).

I know I would struggle with the following, and I imagine you would too.

Suppose someone came to you with a device that appeared to react to something, but none of the scientific instruments known to you registered it. Would you accept its presence?

The vast majority of people do this with TV signals, photography, CDs, light switches every day.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index