The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Spirit of Place II

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Then you need to think of a new word
Jul 03, 2003, 11:34
Yes, I'd go along with that. Not part of a funding application is it? :o)

And furthermore, I'd say that as antiquarians, who have a wide variety of day jobs, our collective interpretation would as valid, if not more valid than that of a lifelong archaeologist, who whilst having a massive amount of detailed archaeological experience, has also been over steeped in "scientific method", lacks "on the job experience" of say, a dry stone waller, or a seaman, or a miner, and has to coach his interpretation by what is acceptable to his peers.

To my mind, a good antiquarian enbraces all aspects of a site, including the mystical, than attempts to apply science to that information in order to provide a conclusion on the most likely.

Not sure I explained myself to well there, don't want to give the impression that I'm off with the loons. Simply that we are less predisposed to discount something simply because our mates say we should, and that this aspect gives antiquarians an advantage over archaeologists in this specific arena.

Mind, before this thread, I've never called myself an antiquarian, but I've never been able to come up with a term that describes exactly what I do.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index