Spirit of Place II

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Spirit of Place II
Jul 02, 2003, 23:57
My post does not make your point at all. It merely says that you need both halves. I was just saying that to get the whole picture you need all the information.

Can they tell me who they traded with? or what went on there? Of course they can if the evidence is there. You certainly couldn't stand in the visitor centre car park today and work it out ;-)

You certainly couldn't look at the Navan Fort today and say what went on there. For a start it's not a Fort! It's a henge, but on the ground today it doesn't look like it. You need the archaeology to tell you that much.

Navan Fort is the single most boring place in Ireland (apart from the Dial perhaps) until you learn something of it.

Now. They probably wouldn't have dug there if it wasn't for a brilliant bit of deduction by an Victorian antiquarian who identified it from the Annals (oops nearly wrote Anals) as Emain Macha - the inauguration site of Ulster.

Again both sides were necessary to FULLY appreciate the site for what it is/was.

For so many years the archaeos have dismissed the likes of you and me that study the landscape as part of the monument. They are now coming to accept this point of view and are expanding their scope. Please let's not be as short sighted as them by discounting their information. (And I do acknowledge that you said you wouldn't be without some of your reports)

Most monuments are part of a broader complex. A complex that could encompass anything as far as the horizon - and in some very rare cases beyond. I think we all acknowledge that much today, but the monument itself can not be forgotten while looking at the broader picture.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index